• RSS
Comments

Apparently humans crave this stuff the way zombies crave human flesh. If you're a beer drinker, read on. And if you're not a beer drinker, read on and then become a beer drinker (responsibly, of course...) I was on the prowl for something cool to write about for this final blog post and I was lucky to come across "Zombie Dust," a beer made by the Three Floyds Brewing Company out of Munster, Indiana. This product obviously caught my interest so I started digging a bit, and it turns out this is one of the better beers out there. I was skeptical at first and figured that it's ratings and the hype surrounding it on the various websites I looked at were based on just a couple of voters who are into zombies and what not, but that wasn't the case at all. It was rated 100 (out of 100) on RateBeer.com and this was based on nearly 700 votes. Slightly more impressive, it was rated 100 on BeerAdvocate.com, this time based off of a mere 3,000 ratings, which puts it in the category of a world-class beer. Needless to say, this stuff is the bomb. However, seeing as we're not taking a brewing class, I thought it important to recognize the zombie side of Zombie Dust.

What excited me about this beer is how zombie culture is consistently and persistently making its presence seen in everyday society, even in ways I've never encountered. As we've discussed in class, zombieism has a foothold in today's culture. Whether it's through television, film, literature, or through products like Zombie Dust, American culture seems to have a keen interest in zombies and zombie-related products. This is the first time I've personally seen any type of zombie-related alcohol, and knowing there is such a thing is pretty exciting. Then to learn that it's really good was even better, but we all know that anything zombie related is always amazing. Reading through some other blog posts from the class I've learned about other products that are centered around the zombie phenomenon and it's clear that zombie interest is not only present in our culture but flourishing.

The folks at Three Floyds Brewing Company describe this beer by saying that, "this intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale will be ones only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry." I think it's cool that they wanted to create a zombie theme with this beer. It's their most popular and well-thought-of beer and they wanted to put an undead spin on it. What's funny to me is how some reviews describe it:

- "Holy sh*t, it's like being slapped in the face with citrus, tropical, and pine blast." 
- "The beer poured a nearly crystal clear, golden-amber."
- "I would drink this every day if it was possible. Seek out this beer and savor every sip."

Good aroma's and bright colors aren't things we normally associate with zombies but Zombie Dust manages to do it. So, if you come across this beer at any point, know that it's hard to come by and that it's amazing and pick some up. Honestly, what could be cooler than getting drunk off something called Zombie Dust?  


Categories:

5 Responses so far.

  1. Great post, I feel we havent ventured into zombie related food/bev as often as we could have. One thing that this reminded me of was when prof. Parent showed us the post about "Brains" beer which I believe was based somewhere in eastern Europe. Personally, i'm not really into pale ales but i'd be interested to see the taste difference and the proportion of alcohol in each.

  2. Damn, this looks like my kind of beer. I've been calling all of the local stores asking if they have any of Three Floyds beer. It doesn't look like theres anything around these parts. I'm trying to figure out a way that I can get it sent to me!

  3. Miles says:

    This is a perfect last post and I would agree with Michael that we have not gone into the zombie food/beverages as much as we could have. Im sure that there is a significant amount of zombie food out there, especially at locals burger and sandwich shops.

  4. To answer your questions, it's 6.2% alcohol which is pretty average amongst beers, and a six pack will cost you about $12 which is definitely above average, but apparently it's worth the extra couple bucks. If you're looking to find some, I honestly think you kind of just have to get lucky and hope a bar has it on tap. It's hard to find but if anyone tries some let us know what you think!

  5. Unknown says:

    Great last post, really interseting stuff and nice way to connect zombies with beer. It really shows how mainstream zombies are becoming with the fact that beer companies are capitalizing on the popularity.

Leave a Reply